Artigos

Michigan State University

Michigan State University


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

O histórico campus da Michigan State University está localizado às margens do Cedar River, em East Lansing - próximo à capital do estado de Lansing, Michigan. Atualmente, a MSU tem mais de 45.000 alunos em suas listas. A Michigan State University foi fundada como a Faculdade de Agricultura do Estado de Michigan por um ato do Legislativo de Michigan. A universidade assumiu seu nome atual em 1964. Programas de bacharelado, mestrado e doutorado são oferecidos pelas faculdades da Michigan State University. O programa de estudo no exterior da MSU é considerado o maior do país; oferecendo mais de 190 programas em mais de 60 países espalhados por todos os continentes, incluindo a Antarctica.MSU tem grande credencial como um centro de pesquisa e desenvolvimento em Michigan. MSU também é creditado com o desenvolvimento da cisplatina - uma droga contra o câncer - e a técnica para homogeneização do leite. Os alunos da Universidade Estadual de Michigan representam todos os 50 estados dos Estados Unidos. país, que consiste em 23 salas de graduação, uma sala de graduação e três vilas de apartamentos. Além dos acadêmicos, a Michigan State University também dá a devida importância à recreação e aos esportes em seu currículo. Na MSU, os alunos, por meio de várias organizações, são incentivados a se envolverem com a estrutura da faculdade e, além de seus contornos, na ação social e política e no serviço comunitário.


História da União

A história da União MSU remonta a 1905, quando a Michigan State University era conhecida como Michigan Agricultural College (MAC) e seu corpo discente contava com apenas 351 alunos. Desde a década de 1880, os sindicatos universitários se multiplicaram em todo o país, e havia grande interesse no MAC em construir um centro onde os alunos pudessem se reunir. Uma comissão formada para planejar o sindicato, mas sem o financiamento, o projeto era só conversa. Foi um longo e difícil caminho antes que suas ideias se tornassem realidade.

Dez anos depois, a classe MAC de 1915 prometeu uma contribuição de US $ 5 de cada aluno. A mesquinha soma de $ 5 em 1915 valia cerca de $ 117 em dólares de hoje. Significou muito para eles que os alunos estavam dispostos a contribuir para um sindicato que eles nem mesmo conseguiriam usar.

A Primeira Guerra Mundial interveio e os esforços para um sindicato foram interrompidos. Depois da guerra, os planos recomeçaram e os planejadores mudaram o nome para Memorial Union, em homenagem aos soldados americanos que morreram a serviço do país. A MAC Alumni Association contratou a firma de arquitetura Pond and Pond de Chicago para traçar planos para a União com um custo estimado de $ 650.000 (apenas cerca de $ 15.200.000,00 em 2013).

Espírito espartano antiquado
Em junho de 1923, a Associação de Ex-alunos avançou com a cerimônia de inauguração, mas não pôde continuar sem os fundos necessários. No entanto, em 1923, as pessoas acreditavam em arregaçar as mangas, colaborar e fazer as coisas elas mesmas. Não era muito longe dos dias de arrecadação de celeiros, quando as pessoas ajudavam seus vizinhos, sem cobrar nada.
Robert J. McCarthy, secretário da Associação de Ex-alunos, organizou a "Semana de Escavação" de 19 a 24 de novembro de 1923, e estudantes, professores e voluntários do sexo masculino foram organizados em equipes de 30 para cavar a fundação do Memorial Union Building. Era um trabalho árduo, mas eles eram bons esportistas e gostavam de competir com seus professores por prêmios todos os dias. Eles foram dispensados ​​das aulas e designados para trabalhar em turnos de 4 horas, enquanto a banda do time do colégio tocava e as alunas serviam lanches. (Será que as mulheres de hoje teriam se juntado e agarrado pás também?)

A “Semana de Escavação” foi um evento único e um grande sucesso - recebeu atenção nacional, o que ajudou a obter contribuições novamente. Mas quando a construção parou devido à falta de fundos, o então governador de Michigan, Alex J. Groesbeck, um forte defensor do MAC, propôs levantar dinheiro por meio de $ 300.000 em títulos emitidos pela Associação de Ex-alunos para concluir o projeto.

Por fim, a MAC Memorial Union foi inaugurada em 12 de junho de 1925. Os irmãos Pond empregaram um estilo de construção gótico escolar e contrataram muitos artistas para criar as muitas pinturas e esculturas que adornam o edifício por dentro e por fora. Todas as lareiras eram revestidas com azulejos Pewabic. Sobre a entrada sul da União, Samuel A. Cashwan esculpiu uma escultura em relevo de Prometeu, o deus grego que se acreditava trazer o fogo e as artes da civilização para a humanidade.

O novo prédio tinha um segundo andar com capacidade para 955, um auditório de dois andares para jantares, bailes e reuniões. Havia 16 quartos privados no segundo e terceiro andares para ex-alunos e amigos, uma barbearia, uma livraria, um salão de beleza, uma grande cozinha centralizada e os escritórios da Associação de Ex-alunos. O Union se tornou o centro da vida no campus e estava em constante movimento. Isso criou algo para a classe de 2.200 alunos que nunca havia existido no campus e iluminou sua experiência no campus.

O Union tinha salões masculinos e femininos, 11 salas de jantar, uma sala de estar para três temporadas, uma sala para fumantes e também uma sala de bilhar apenas para estudantes do sexo masculino. Várias publicações do campus, como o Tronco de cedro vermelho e The State News abriram seus escritórios na União.

A União através das Décadas
Desde a sua abertura em 1925, a União passou por muitas adições e renovações. Em 1936, a universidade assumiu a propriedade e gestão da União da Associação de Ex-Alunos, devido a uma inadimplência no reembolso de títulos (sem dúvida a Grande Depressão teve algo a ver com isso) no final dos anos 1940, a ala sul foi adicionada, com grandes adições e renovações no valor de $ 3 milhões (mais de $ 28.500.000 em 2013) - uma área de lazer com boliche e bilhar, uma sala de pingue-pongue com 12 mesas, salas de arte e música, uma sala de navegação com jornais e revistas, salas de jantar e de conferências, além de salas de aula, agência de viagens, bilheteria e o novo Union Grill, onde hoje fica a praça de alimentação.

Em 1955, quando a universidade mudou oficialmente seu nome para Universidade Estadual de Michigan de Agricultura e Ciências Aplicadas, o prédio ficou conhecido como União MSU. Uma rampa acessível para deficientes foi adicionada. Os quartos foram convertidos e outras funções transferidas para a União. À medida que os alunos se diversificaram ao longo dos anos, suas necessidades e desejos mudaram, e o mesmo aconteceu com o Sindicato.

O Union sempre funcionou como uma casa longe de casa para os alunos e ainda oferece muitas das mesmas comodidades de 1925: amplo espaço de estudo, opções de restaurantes, salas de reunião, compras, eventos de entretenimento, escritórios de organizações estudantis e muito mais.


História

A história do College of Law & # 8217s data de 1891, quando o Detroit College of Law foi estabelecido para servir aos residentes de Detroit. Antes da fundação do Law College & # 8217s, a única maneira de um residente de Detroit tornar-se membro da Ordem dos Advogados sem sair da cidade para estudar era & # 8220reading & # 8221 law in local advocacy office # 8217. Os fundadores do Law College & # 8217s eram um grupo de tais & # 8220readers & # 8221 & # 8212 escriturários e estudantes no sudeste de Michigan. Como resultado, durante os primeiros dois anos da história da escola & # 8217s, seus diretores foram eles próprios alunos & # 8212 uma situação única.

A primeira turma de 69 formandos incluiu um futuro juiz do tribunal de circuito e um futuro embaixador. Uma mulher na primeira classe e um afro-americano na segunda exemplificaram o compromisso do Law College de oferecer a todos os setores da população a oportunidade de uma educação jurídica de qualidade.

Em 1995, o Law College se afiliou à Michigan State University, proporcionando aos alunos acesso a uma grande variedade de recursos e oportunidades, preservando a cultura centrada no aluno da escola. Ao longo dos anos, a relação de afiliação tornou-se cada vez mais estreita, até que a liderança do MSU e da MSU Law se comprometeu totalmente em outubro de 2018. Em 17 de agosto de 2020, a Faculdade de Direito da MSU foi totalmente integrada à universidade e existe como uma faculdade constituinte da MSU .

A Faculdade de Direito da Universidade Estadual de Michigan preservou os valores históricos da DCL de acesso e oportunidade, ética de trabalho e imersão na profissão, ao mesmo tempo que abraçou as oportunidades que vêm de fazer parte de uma universidade Big Ten.


História da Michigan State University

O governador de Michigan, George Romney, incentiva os estudantes universitários a desenvolver programas de voluntariado para jovens nas escolas pré-escolares, delinquência e intervenção em crises.

Os alunos da Michigan State University, com o apoio do corpo docente do College of Education e outros, iniciam o Student Education Corps. Projetos de prestação de serviços envolvem principalmente oportunidades de voluntariado de curto prazo. A iniciativa é uma resposta ao chamado do governador Romney por serviço.

O Corpo de Educação Estudantil continua e cresce. A existência e o trabalho do corpo são indicativos de ativismo estudantil na época em resposta ao movimento nacional pelos direitos civis, & quotWar on Poverty & quot, e a crescente conscientização do conflito armado no Vietnã, ou seja, os alunos acreditam que podem fazer a diferença & quotat home & quot, e pode ver alguns resultados. O Projeto de Educação Tutorial do Aluno (STEP) iniciado principalmente por alunos com o Rust College no Mississippi, nos verões de 1965-1968, proporcionou uma oportunidade para alunos ativistas prestarem serviço fora de Michigan.

O Conselho de Curadores da MSU aprova o Escritório de Programas de Voluntariado. O Student Education Corps torna-se o Volunteer Bureau, e mantém a responsabilidade pelas iniciativas de serviço de curto prazo lideradas pelos alunos. A mudança de nome reflete tanto o estabelecimento do Escritório de Programas de Voluntariado associado, no qual os administradores da universidade fornecem continuidade tanto em termos de esforços de serviço sustentados por parte da MSU, quanto no desenvolvimento e manutenção de relacionamentos com a comunidade, por exemplo, desenvolvendo e sustentando a & quotmemória institucional & quot e compromisso de longo prazo com os constituintes da comunidade.

O Escritório de Programas de Voluntariado foi aprovado pelo Conselho de Curadores da MSU em 22 de novembro de 1967. As funções descritas para o escritório incluíam:

  1. A COORDENAÇÃO DE PROGRAMAS DE VOLUNTÁRIO COM O PROGRAMA ACADÊMICO GERAL DA UNIVERSIDADE
  2. COORDENAR PROGRAMAS DE VOLUNTÁRIO COM AS UNIDADES DO ESCRITÓRIO DE ASSUNTOS DO ESTUDANTE
  3. PARA TRABALHAR COM A FACULDADE E PESSOAL DA UNIVERSIDADE
  4. RECURSOS DA UNIVERSIDADE PARA USO DE PROGRAMAS DE VOLUNTARIADO
  5. DETERMINAR E IDENTIFICAR ÁREAS PARA ENVOLVIMENTO DE VOLUNTÁRIO DA FACULDADE
  6. PARA REPRESENTAR A UNIVERSIDADE À COMUNIDADE
  7. PARA ASSEGURAR EXPERIÊNCIAS SIGNIFICATIVAS PARA ESTUDANTES NO SERVIÇO COMUNITÁRIO
  8. PARA COORDENAR E ACONSELHAR OS PROGRAMAS DE VOLUNTÁRIOS DE ESTUDANTES
  9. PARA ORÇAMENTOS DE ADMINISTRAÇÃO
  10. PARA FUNDOS DE ADMINISTRAÇÃO DE FONTES PRIVADAS
  11. PARA COORDENAR PROGRAMAS DE EDUCAÇÃO E PESQUISA.

MSU Urban Affairs se envolveu como primeiro diretor e diretor assistente, (que também atuou como diretor do Bureau de Voluntários), do Escritório de Programas de Voluntariado foram nomeados pelo Urban Affairs. Como a Urban Affairs tradicionalmente trabalha com e na comunidade de Lansing, a utilização desse departamento ressaltou o compromisso da MSU de respeitar e incluir a & quot voz da comunidade & quot.

2 de janeiro de 1968: O Escritório de Programas de Voluntariado é inaugurado oficialmente. A universidade forneceu espaço de escritório no subsolo / "nível de fundação" do Edifício de Serviços ao Estudante.

A Corporação Nacional para o Serviço Voluntário fornece reconhecimento nacional aos "Voluntários da MSU de 1971".

O Escritório de Programas de Voluntariado e o Escritório de Voluntariado tornam-se o Centro de Aprendizagem em Serviço. MSU foi pioneira no movimento nacional de aprendizagem de serviço, (Eyler, J Giles D., Pioneers of Service-Learning), olhando para o serviço voluntário como contribuições objetivas, planejadas e recíprocas para a comunidade e para o bem público, ao invés de simplesmente & quotvoluntariado & quot. A visão da MSU sobre a aprendizagem em serviço incluiu (e continua a incluir) serviços curriculares e co-curriculares intencionais.

Nota: Devido ao crescimento da MSU nos anos 1960 & # 39 e 1970 & # 39, as funções e responsabilidades do Gabinete de Assuntos Estudantis, ao qual o Gabinete de Programas de Voluntariado / Centro de Serviço de Aprendizagem administrativamente reportado, também se expandiram e evoluíram durante estes décadas. Eventualmente, o Gabinete de Assuntos Estudantis tornou-se a Divisão de Assuntos e Serviços Estudantis. O Service-Learning Center se reportava originalmente ao Decano de Assuntos Estudantis. Coincidindo com a nomeação da Divisão de Assuntos e Serviços Estudantis e de um vice-presidente de universidade correspondente para administrar, junto com, no início dos anos 1980 & # 39, o extenso realinhamento departamental e de unidade da universidade devido a cortes no orçamento do estado, as linhas de reporte do Service-Learning Center veio sob a categoria Student Life, uma unidade da Divisão de Assuntos e Serviços Estudantis.

A MSU é fundamental no lançamento do Michigan Campus Compact, http://www.micampuscompact.org, estado & quotchapter & quot do Campus Compact, entidade líder na organização de faculdades e universidades em torno do serviço voluntário e aprendizagem em serviço. O Michigan Campus Compact (MCC) foi um dos primeiros compactos estaduais. A MCC foi mantida pela MSU até o final de 1990 & # 39s, quando se tornou parte da Associação sem fins lucrativos de Michigan e da & quotConnect Michigan Alliance. & Quot.

Os líderes estudantis da MSU, buscando revitalizar o ativismo e a ação estudantil em resposta à & quotMe Generation & quot de meados / final dos anos 1980 & # 39, criam a MSU Campus Outreach and Opportunity League (COOL). O programa MSU Alternative Spring Break é um resultado do COOL, pois é & quotInto the Streets & quot.

MSU COOL lança MSU e dia de serviço nacional & quotInto the Streets & quot. & quotInto the Streets & quot continua como um evento anual de outono na MSU e se expandiu para incluir o & quotMartin Luther King Day of Service & quot da MSU.

A linha de reporte para o Service-Learning Center muda da Vida do Estudante para a de Serviços de Carreira e Colocação.

Após a aposentadoria de Mary Edens, diretora de longa data do Service-Learning Center, a posição de diretora é reformulada para incluir uma linha de subordinação dupla para Serviços de Carreira e Colocação, sob o Vice-presidente para Assuntos e Serviços Estudantis e o Reitor Assistente para University Outreach, (com relatórios de Outreach sendo um acréscimo). O novo diretor mantém a responsabilidade pelo Programa Young Spartan e MSU America Reads / America Counts, (sob Outreach Partnerships), expandindo o papel do diretor e ampliando o trabalho de aprendizagem de serviço. & mdash Embora conectado ao curso, o aprendizado de serviço acadêmico fazia parte da responsabilidade do Service-Learning Center, esforços renovados e focados no aprendizado de serviço acadêmico começam. Trabalhar com o University Outreach ajuda o serviço de aprendizagem na MSU a voltar às suas "raízes" ao ver o evangelismo como uma bolsa de estudo que atravessa o ensino, a pesquisa e o serviço, com o serviço de aprendizagem acadêmico fornecendo uma forte ligação entre o aprendizado de graduação e a comunidade.

O Campus Compact, em parceria com o Pew Charitable Trust, incentiva, em nível nacional, faculdades e universidades a revisitar um princípio básico de aprendizado de serviço, educação para responsabilidade social e cívica. Esforços nacionais para faculdades e universidades para ouvir a "voz da comunidade", de modo que as iniciativas de serviço sejam objetivas e recíprocas, também apareçam, levando a MSU a revisitar as maneiras pelas quais vê a aprendizagem em serviço. Maior ênfase é colocada no serviço como aprendizagem significativa e ativa baseada na comunidade, responsabilidade cívica do construtor e um meio de ajudar os alunos a desenvolver um senso de cuidado com os outros.

Hiram Fitzgerald é nomeado vice-reitor assistente de divulgação da universidade e cria uma nova unidade de divulgação chamada Civic Engagement para refletir as tendências nacionais no serviço estudantil e aprendizagem de serviço e as filosofias da University Outreach (cujo nome é posteriormente alterado para University Outreach and Engagement ( UOE)). O diretor do Service-Learning Center (SLC), do Young Spartan Program e da MSU America Reads é nomeado diretor do UOE-Civic Engagement (CE). O SLC funciona em conjunto com o CE e algumas funções se sobrepõem. Primeiramente, porém, a administração permanece separada, mas com o mesmo diretor.

O Vice-Presidente para Assuntos e Serviços Estudantis remove o SLC da administração de Serviços de Carreira e Colocação, para coincidir com a nomeação de CE como sua própria unidade sob UOE. O SLC se reporta diretamente ao Vice-presidente de Assuntos e Serviços Estudantis. O trabalho do SLC e do CE torna-se mais entrelaçado uma vez que a conexão direta com os Serviços de Carreira é removida, e resultados mais abrangentes, para incluir vínculos acadêmicos, desenvolvimento de liderança, sentido de cuidado contínuo com os outros, educação relacionada à justiça social e cidadania responsabilidade e engajamento, são a intenção.

Para refletir as conexões entre o SLC e o CE, as duas unidades recebem o título conjunto de Centro de Aprendizagem em Serviço e Engajamento Cívico (CSLCE). O CSLCE é responsável pela aprendizagem de serviço curricular e acadêmica e engajamento cívico, apoio ao corpo docente para oportunidades de aprendizagem de serviço e envolvimento da comunidade envolvendo alunos, iniciativas de serviço co-curriculares, o Programa Young Spartan, iniciativas MSU America Reads / America Counts e servindo como & quotclearing house & quot para alunos e professores que buscam colocações em serviços e organizações sem fins lucrativos da comunidade que buscam assistência de alunos.

A MSU hospeda a 5ª Conferência Anual de Pesquisa Internacional K-H Service-Learning. Três membros da equipe administrativa do CSLCE publicaram o livro correspondente, & quotAdvancing Knowledge in Service-learning, Research to Transform the Field. & Quot

Devido ao fechamento de escolas e à mudança de prioridades no distrito escolar de Lansing, relacionadas ao desenvolvimento curricular e profissional para professores, o Programa Young Spartan como uma parceria discreta terminou. O compromisso por parte do CSLCE em fornecer alunos de aprendizagem de serviço às escolas do Distrito Escolar de Lansing continuou.

O fundo de dotação de índios asiáticos para a educação de crianças carentes foi formado para apoiar inicialmente o trabalho do CSLCE com os programas educacionais do Boys and Girls Club of Lansing. Membros da Comunidade de Índios Asiáticos da Grande Lansing iniciaram esse empreendimento. O suporte continua.

Para reconhecer as contribuições dos voluntários do MSU STEP de 1965-68, e as conquistas dos alunos que se beneficiaram do serviço do MSU & # 39s a outras pessoas, houve uma reunião do STEP durante as atividades comemorativas de Martin Luther King Jr. da Universidade & # 39s.

O crescimento no aprendizado de serviço da MSU tem sido apreciável desde a formação do CSLCE como uma unidade independente e independente, reportando-se em conjunto com o Reitor Associado para Extensão e Compromisso da Universidade e o Vice-presidente para Assuntos e Serviços Estudantis.

Em 2006-2007, 13.825 inscrições / registros de alunos para aprendizagem em serviço foram recebidos e acomodados por meio do CSLCE.

Marcou o 40º aniversário do CSLCE.

Em 2008-2009, o CSLCE recebeu o Prêmio Presidencial.

16.114 estudantes de aprendizagem engajada da comunidade e / ou registros de serviço comunitário foram relatados em todo o campus

17.892 alunos da comunidade de estudantes envolvidos no aprendizado e / ou registros de serviço comunitário foram relatados em todo o campus

18.899 alunos da comunidade de estudantes envolvidos no aprendizado e / ou registros de serviço comunitário foram relatados em todo o campus

20.739 alunos da comunidade de estudantes envolvidos no aprendizado e / ou registros de serviço comunitário foram relatados em todo o campus

20.781 estudantes de aprendizagem engajada da comunidade e / ou registros de serviço comunitário foram relatados em todo o campus

26.127 estudantes de aprendizagem engajada da comunidade e / ou registros de serviço comunitário foram relatados em todo o campus

27.475 alunos da comunidade de estudantes envolvidos no aprendizado e / ou registros de serviço comunitário foram relatados em todo o campus

32.223 alunos da comunidade de aprendizagem engajada e / ou registros de serviço comunitário foram relatados em todo o campus

32.241 alunos da comunidade de aprendizagem engajada e / ou registros de serviço comunitário foram relatados em todo o campus


História

A pesquisa em física nuclear começou na Michigan State University (MSU) em 1958. Nas décadas que se seguiram, a MSU tornou-se conhecida por suas inovações em ciência nuclear e pesquisa interdisciplinar associada, tanto nos Estados Unidos como no mundo todo. Um jovem físico de Oak Ridge chamado Henry Blosser foi escolhido como o primeiro diretor do laboratório. A MSU conseguiu uma bolsa da National Science Foundation (NSF) para construir seu primeiro ciclotron de 40 MeV em 1961. Quatro anos depois, o primeiro feixe foi acelerado. Como o dispositivo superou seu design e forneceu feixes de 50 MeV, ele foi chamado de K-50. Junto com o novo acelerador, foi erguido um prédio para abrigar o laboratório e as pessoas que nele trabalham. (continua abaixo).

& # 65279In 1973, os cientistas tiveram a ideia de usar a tecnologia supercondutora para criar um acelerador mais poderoso, porém menor. Depois de acertar os detalhes, um contrato entre a MSU e o Departamento de Energia foi assinado no início de 1980, o trabalho em um segundo cíclotron supercondutor começou e o Laboratório Nacional de Ciclotron Supercondutor & # 8212 anteriormente chamado de Laboratório de Íons Pesados ​​MSU / NSF & # 8212 nasceu.

O K-500 & # 8212o primeiro ciclotron supercondutor do mundo & # 8212 & # 8212 foi lançado às 15h00. no sábado, 21 de novembro, 1981 e o primeiro feixe de partículas foi extraído em agosto de 1982, apenas cinco anos depois que a equipe recebeu autorização.

Dois anos depois em 1984, o ímã supercondutor do segundo cíclotron foi testado com sucesso. No entanto, o plano original para acoplar os dois cíclotrons foi revisado para que o segundo cíclotron operasse de forma independente, pelo menos por um curto prazo. O novo plano foi bem-sucedido e o K-800 já estava online no início 1988 e, devido ao seu excelente poder de foco, renomeou K-1200 um ano depois.

Os cíclotrons foram desligados em 2 de julho, 1999 para que o trabalho no sistema de acoplamento pudesse começar. Em 1º de outubro, 2000, o laboratório produziu com sucesso seu primeiro feixe de íons da nova instalação. O poder da nova instalação permitiu ao laboratório explorar novos isótopos, alguns dos quais só podem ser encontrados em fenômenos astronômicos como supernovas e estrelas de nêutrons. Por causa de sua nova experiência em astrofísica, a NSCL se juntou ao Laboratório de Estrutura Nuclear de Notre Dame & # 8217s e à Universidade de Chicago para estabelecer o Instituto Conjunto de Física Nuclear (JINA) em 2003.

No 2004, MSU embarcou em um esforço para hospedar a nova Instalação para Feixes de Isótopos Raros (FRIB). Após muito trabalho e dedicação de toda a comunidade MSU, no dia 11 de dezembro, 2008 O DOE anunciou que o FRIB seria hospedado pela MSU. A construção real começou em março 2014 com um lançamento inovador, e a construção técnica começou em outubro. O trabalho continua hoje no muito antecipado projeto FRIB, que está programado para operar em 2022.


Cerca de

Bem-vindo a “History of the Digital Age.” Neste curso, exploraremos as raízes do século XIX de nossas tecnologias digitais contemporâneas e o contexto social e cultural de seu desenvolvimento ao longo do último século e meio. Por meio de um processo de palestra, discussão, redação e atividades práticas, não só aprenderemos sobre os inventores importantes das primeiras máquinas de computação, mas também aprenderemos sobre outros que trabalharam a serviço do crescimento, suporte e mudando essas tecnologias.

Nenhuma mudança científica ou tecnológica acontece em uma caixa preta, então teremos o cuidado de interrogar os processos e pressupostos ideológicos que cercaram a criação de máquinas de computação, a elaboração de seus programas e sua integração na sociedade. Além disso, exploraremos a tensão entre a liberdade criativa que veio com o amplo acesso aos computadores e às redes que os conectam, e o controle corporativo e governamental persistente que funcionou para moldar sua disponibilidade e uso. Finalmente, examinaremos uma série de questões e desafios contemporâneos levantados pela crescente difusão das tecnologias de computador em contextos públicos e privados.

Visão geral do curso

Por favor, leia todas as páginas deste site com atenção. Seu sucesso neste curso depende de concluir todas as leituras, trabalhos escritos e questionários, dentro do prazo, e produzir um trabalho claro e original que mantenha os padrões da MSU de honestidade e integridade acadêmica. Não haverá prorrogações por atraso no trabalho. Qualquer caso de plágio resultará no aluno recebendo um F para o curso.


Faculdade de Engenharia

College Hall

Saints 'Rest 1865

O Departamento de Engenharia Civil foi criado em 1909. No entanto, fez parte da escola desde o seu início. O Colégio Agrícola do Estado de Michigan foi criado pelo Legislativo Estadual em 1855 e, em junho daquele ano, uma área de 676,57 acres foi adquirida. Durante os próximos 2 anos, College Hall, [foto à esquerda], Dormitório do Saints ’Rest, [foto logo abaixo], e um celeiro de tijolos foi construído, e a faculdade deu as boas-vindas aos seus primeiros alunos em 13 de maio de 1857.

Quatro membros do corpo docente foram contratados, um dos quais era Calvin Tracy, que deveria ensinar matemática e topografia. Ele foi autorizado a comprar uma bússola e um nível de topógrafo "com o equipamento necessário para levantamento e nivelamento no Colégio Agrícola".

Faculty Row 1874

Os 63 alunos assistiam às aulas pela manhã e trabalhavam três horas à tarde, derrubando árvores, plantando pomares ou transportando tijolos para construir casas em Faculty Row, uma das quais (e a única poupada da demolição) foi a Cowles House, para o professores e suas famílias e para algumas das primeiras alunas da universidade.

Engenharia Rural e Civil foi um dos cursos realizados pelos seniores do currículo fixo. Em 1861, T.C. Abbot, que mais tarde se tornou o segundo presidente do colégio, foi nomeado professor de Engenharia Rural e Civil, embora sua designação anterior e posterior tenha sido Professor de História e Literatura Inglesa. Em 1861, o colégio formou sua primeira turma, mas não teve início, pois a Guerra Civil havia começado e seis dos sete graduados haviam se alistado em uma companhia especial de engenheiros que serviria ao General-de-Brigada John C. Frémont.

Rolla C. Carpenter, 1877 Rolla C. Carpenter, 1885

Em seu relatório de 1864, o Presidente Abbot recomendou que um engenheiro civil fosse nomeado para a Faculdade de Instrução e, em 1875, Sr. Rolla C. Carpenter um graduado da faculdade em 1873, que também era graduado em Engenharia Civil pela Michigan University, foi contratado como instrutor. Assim, foi fundado o departamento de Matemática e Engenharia Civil. A primeira aula de Engenharia Civil de Carpenter usou a revisão de Wood de Mahan Tratado Elementar de Engenharia Civil estudando os capítulos sobre materiais, resistência dos materiais, estrutura, alvenaria, estradas, canais, rios e pontes. Durante seus quinze anos na faculdade, o Prof. Carpenter deu aulas de Engenharia Civil e Matemática, enquanto servia a faculdade de várias outras maneiras. Ele inspecionou o terreno, supervisionou os trabalhos a vapor e a carpintaria, projetou e supervisionou a construção de uma barragem no rio Cedro Vermelho (projetando seu próprio bate-estaca), projetou o novo laboratório mecânico, supervisionou a fabricação de 400.000 tijolos, projetou um nova casa de banhos para estudantes (com 10 banheiras - foto abaixo, à direita), ensinava francês e, em 1884, servia como treinador do time de futebol universitário um tanto pouco organizado.

Equipamento de pesquisa

A Lei de Concessão de Terras de 1862 especificou o ensino de "ramos de aprendizagem relacionados à agricultura e às artes mecânicas". Assim, em 1885, iniciou-se um curso de artes mecânicas de dois anos. Isso logo se expandiu para um curso de Mecânica de 4 anos, que mais tarde se tornou Engenharia Mecânica. No mesmo ano, o primeiro edifício de engenharia, o Edifício Mecânico, foi construído.

Em 1890, o Professor Carpenter deixou um cargo na Cornell University e depois de um ano, o Professor Herman K. Vedder, um graduado em engenharia civil da Cornell University com um mestrado em Engenharia Estrutural, foi nomeado Professor de Matemática e Engenharia Civil. Vedder continuou a ministrar os cursos de matemática e engenharia civil e a fornecer experiência para a faculdade em seu trabalho de engenharia.

Em 1892, o segundo capítulo do Tau Beta Pi no país foi fundado no colégio.

Animais em Farm Lane 1909

A vida no campus durante esses primeiros anos nem sempre foi fácil. East Lansing era apenas uma pequena aldeia. Viajar para Lansing era quase impossível na primavera e no outono, quando as estradas se transformaram em lamaçais e o bonde que mais tarde ligou a cidade ao colégio ainda não havia sido construído.

Até a década de 1890, o colégio funcionava na primavera, verão e outono para que os alunos pudessem praticar a agricultura no colégio durante a estação de cultivo. Além disso, muitos deles dependiam de empregos de ensino de inverno em escolas do interior para suas despesas. Quando o calendário acadêmico foi alterado para incluir aulas de inverno, novos problemas foram enfrentados. Professor Vedder, in his 1897 report to the college president, wrote, "allow me to urge the early installation of sanitary conveniences at College Hall", the change in terms "requiring long class-work in winter months, make this necessary."

Since many of the engineering students planned for a Civil Engineering career, Professor Vedder, in 1901, expressed that "there is a demand for a course of study" allowing "specialization along Civil Engineering lines". On December 4, 1901, the governing board of the college approved the new option and seventeen members of the junior class elected civil engineering. "Topographical drawing and sketching, shadows and perspective, railroad surveying, bridge analysis and design, masonry, arches and pavements" were added to the department curriculum. On June 18, 1903, fourteen seniors became the first graduates from the Civil Engineering option.

Engineering Hall

During the early years of this new option, the faculty was overly busy. Prof. Vedder repeatedly protested about the crowded class and laboratory facilities. In 1907, a new Engineering Hall, costing $110,000, was constructed to house the departments of Mechanical Engineering, Mathematics, and Civil Engineering, Drawing and Design, and Physics and Electrical Engineering. The same year, Engineering's first Dean, G.W. Bissell, was appointed, and in 1908, the Division of Engineering was established.

By 1908, of the 232 engineering students who graduated in the years after the Civil option was founded, 117 had completed the civil engineering option. Professor Vedder proposed that in order to best serve the students, civil engineering should be a separate department and on July 7, 1909, the Department of Civil Engineering was born.

Since that time, the transitions in the college and in Engineering have been many. In 1909, the State Agricultural College became the Michigan Agricultural College. Then in 1925, the name was changed to Michigan State College of Agriculture and Applied Science. In 1955, its one-hundredth year, the College became a University and finally, in 1964, it was renamed Michigan State University.

Engineering Building fire, 1916

The first Engineering Hall burned in March of 1916 and was replaced by Olds Hall of Engineering, which housed most of the departments until 1962, when the present Engineering Building was completed. Civil Engineering became the Department of Civil and Sanitary Engineering in 1962 and the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering in 1985. The department was housed in the Engineering Building from 1962 through 1981, when it was moved to the Communication Arts and Science Building where it remained until 1989 when the new wing of the Engineering Building was opened. In 1987, the Engineering Research Complex was opened, housing the environmental engineering faculty, graduate students, and laboratories. In 2002, the department dedicated the Civil Infrastructure Laboratory, located on Jolly Road in Okemos. The laboratory was expanded in 2005 to include a fire testing facility.

The department has continued to grow and evolve. The first Master of Science degree was awarded on June 18, 1928 to Howard Allen. His thesis topic was "The Design of a Reinforced Concrete Laboratory for the Department of Civil Engineering. The CE program was first accredited in 1937 by the Engineers Council for Professional Development, which has become ABET. An undergraduate curriculum in sanitary engineering was also offered, but discontinued in 1954 as it was believed that the programs did not offer sufficient breath. Almost sixty years later, In 2011, the B.S. Environmental Engineering program was approved by the State Board of Education. The first environmental engineering student graduated in December 2011 and the program was accredited in August 2012. Graduate degrees in environmental engineering were first offered in 1980.

The civil and environmental engineering programs at MSU have always been student-focused, from 1900, when Professor Herman Klock Vedder expressed a need for a course of study "allowing for specialization along the Civil Engineering Lines" to today when student groups such as American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Student Chapter, Chi Epsilon, and Environmental Engineering Society flourish, undergraduate and graduate students work together with faculty and postdoctoral assistants to solve complex problems, and students are encouraged to actively participate in the classroom. The Student Chapter of the ASCE has been active at MSU since 1921. Chi Epsilon, the National CE Honor Society was installed as chapter 42 in 1951 and the Environmental Engineering (Student) Society was founded as a chapter of the Air and Waste Management Association in 1988. The MSU chapter of Chi Epsilon has twice hosted the Chi Epsilon National Conclave, in 1958 and in 1986.

MSU Student Chapters have distinguished themselves as being first in a number of arenas. The first ASCE sponsored National Concrete Canoe Competition was held in 1988 at MSU, with canoe races at Lake Lansing. The first National Student Steel Bridge competition was held at MSU in 1992, and the Spartans became the first national champions. MSU's concrete canoe team, the Rowing Stone, took first place in the National Concrete Canoe Competition in 1990 in Buffalo, NY. The Environmental Engineering (Student) Society took first place at the Waste-Management Education and Research Consortium International Competitions in 1994 and 1995. The EES team took first place at the Air and Waste Management Association sponsored Environmental Competition International (ECi) in 2015.

Not only on campus, but throughout the state and abroad, civil engineering has clearly left its mark. By far the greatest contribution of civil engineers along the banks of the Red Cedar has been in the education of thousands of men and women, who have obtained Bachelors, Masters, and Doctorate degrees, and have become involved throughout the world in the creation of engineering projects, the improvement of civil infrastructure and society, and in the education of our future generations of engineers and scientists.


College of Human Medicina

50th Anniversary Video - MSU College of Human Medicine: 1964 - 2014 VIDEO
"Formula for MSU Medical School" historical film featuring Dean Andrew D. Hunt, Jr., 1966 VIDEO        

Since 1966, the College of Human Medicine has educated physicians and claims a national reputation for its social mission - producing MDs to practice medicine in Michigan's underserved areas. Today the college is recognized nationally for its excellence in and commitment to patient-centered medicine.

From 1959󈞩, several reports demonstrated the need for a third medical school in Michigan focused specifically on serving the state's population through direct involvement in community health care. In 1961, the Michigan State Board of Trustees decided to begin a two-year medical program that it would strengthen and be strengthened by complementary areas of the university. The preparatory work was carried by the Institute of Medicine and Biology in the provost's office, under the direction of Bill Knisley, who played a key role in the formation of the College of Human Medicine and the building of MSU's Life Sciences Building. Several grants aided the development of the program and in 1964 the Board of Trustees named Andrew D. Hunt, MD, dean of the College of Human Medicine.

In June 1965, the Liaison Committee for Medical Education, the American Medical Association's accreditation arm, granted a letter of "reasonable assurance" to the College of Human Medicine, permitting MSU to admit its first medical students󈟪 in the fall of 1966 and 23 in the fall of 1967. After two years of preclinical training, these students transferred to other medical schools to complete their medical degree requirements. In 1967, the College of Human Medicine received approval to develop a four-year, degree-granting program. The first MDs graduated in 1972.

Since the MSU College of Human Medicine was created within a state-funded institution to serve Michigan's people, it was considered important and appropriate for students to obtain their clinical training in the state's communities. A formal philosophy of placing clinical training within community hospitals emerged. To implement this philosophy, the college formed a consortium of teaching hospitals in several Michigan communities, each with an assistant dean and a staff of faculty coordinators for major medical specialties.

In conjunction with its founding mission to serve all the people of Michigan, a special program to address the health care needs of rural citizens began in the Upper Peninsula in 1974. Students entering the College of Human Medicine who planned to serve a rural community upon completion of their medical training could apply to complete their clinical years in the Upper Peninsula.

Clinical campuses in Flint, Grand Rapids, Lansing, Midland Regional, Southeast Michigan, Traverse City, and the Upper Peninsula Region now cooperate with MSU in the training of medical students during their undergraduate clinical years. Nearly 4,000 physicians in these Michigan communities hold clinical faculty appointments and volunteer their expertise to educate MSU College of Human Medicine undergraduate medical students. The college also operates several residency programs in these community hospitals. These programs have proven to be one of the most successful implementations of the college’s commitment to serving the people. The Rural Medicine Program at the Upper Peninsula region campus and the Rural Community Health Program in the Traverse City and Midland Regional campuses has led to an increase in physicians practicing in underserved areas.

Since its creation, the college's curriculum has continued to evolve and the college has become nationally and internationally known as a leader in university-based, community-integrated medical education. The college is again embarking on an innovative curriculum slated to begin fall 2016. In addition to excelling in medical education, the college excels in research. College faculty members are well represented among the university's top research grant recipients. Furthermore, an MD/PhD program invites promising scholars to combine basic science research with clinical physician training.

In 2006, Marsha D. Rappley, M.D., became the first graduate of the College of Human Medicine to become dean of the medical school. At that time, the university had begun plans to expand the medical school to help Michigan train, attract and retain enough physicians to meet future needs of its citizens.

In August 2007, the college increased its enrollment from 106 first-year students to 156 students, and, in October, MSU announced a building project budget of $90 million for the construction of a new medical education building along the health sciences corridor in downtown Grand Rapids. A ground-breaking event was held in mid 2008, with construction completion planned for the Secchia Center in 2010.

Spectrum Health committed $55 million that included principal and interest payments on the building for 25 years. Private donations were raised through a joint fundraising initiative by MSU and Grand Action. This included first naming gifts of $20 million donated by area business leaders, including alumni Ambassador Peter F. and Joan Secchia, for whom the Secchia Center is named. The $90 million Secchia Center opened fall 2010, on time, on budget and privately funded.

In June 2015, MSU announced plans to build the Grand Rapids Research Center near the Secchia Center in downtown Grand Rapids. The $88 million research center will late fall 2017 and will eventually house as many as 44 principal investigators and their research teams in future years.

Also in 2015, Dean Marsha Rappley stepped down and Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs Aron Sousa, M.D., became interim dean. On October 1, 2016, the College of Human Medicine welcomed its new dean, Norman Beauchamp, Jr., MD, the second graduate of the college to serve as dean. On October 25, 2019, Beauchamp was promoted to executive vice president for health sciences. The Board of Trustees again named Sousa interim dean.               

The MSU College of Human Medicine is fully accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education. With  5,699 graduates, College of Human Medicine alumni now practice in nearly every county in Michigan, in nearly every state in the nation, and in several foreign countries. As it continues to train physicians of the highest quality, the College of Human Medicine looks forward to the medical opportunities of the next millennium.


It all began in 1999.

The Department of Geography, Environment, and Spatial Sciences at Michigan State University has offered online geography courses since 1999, when Alan Arbogast and a small team of grad students created Geo 206v (Physical Geography).

Course Development

Below is a timeline of course development.

Geo 206v, Physical Geography: developed by Alan Arbogast, Ph.D., Kathleen Baker, Ph.D., and Cathryn Dowd, M.A. launched in Summer 1999

ISS 310v, People and the Environment: developed by Alan Arbogast, Ph.D. launched in Summer 2002

Geo 204v, World Regional Geography: developed by Antoinette WinklerPrins, Ph.D. launched in Summer 2003

Geo 330v, Geography of the United States and Canada: developed by Jay Harman, Ph.D. launched in Summer 2005

Geo 324v, Remote Sensing of the Environment (and online Lab): developed by David Lusch, Ph.D., and Bob Goodwin, M.A. launched in Spring 2008

Geo 221v, Introduction to Geographic Information (and online Lab): developed by Kirk Goldsberry, Ph.D., and Adrienne Goldsberry, M.A. launched in Summer 2009

Geo 802v, Geospatial Technology (and online Lab): developed by RS&GIS @MSU launched in Fall 2009

Geo 203v, Introduction to Meteorology: developed by Sharon Zhong, Ph.D. launched in Summer 2011

Geo 325v, Geographic Information Systems (and online Lab): developed by Kirk Goldsberry, Ph.D., and Adrienne Goldsberry, M.A. launched in Spring 2012

Geo 326v (formerly 423v), Cartographic Design and Production (and online Lab): developed by Kirk Goldsberry, Ph.D., and Adrienne Goldsberry, M.A. launched in Fall 2012

Geo 221LABv, Introduction to Geographic Information (Lab): developed by Adrienne Goldsberry, M.A. launched in Fall 2013

Geo 151v, Human Geography: developed by Dick Groop, Ph.D., Gary Schnakenberg, Ph.D., and Adrienne Goldsberry, M.A. launched in Summer 2014

Geo 113v, Economic Geography: developed by Elizabeth Mack, Ph.D. launched in Summer 2020

Enrollments

As of Spring 2020 more than 28,220 students have taken onGEO courses.

Reconhecimento

Online Geography @ MSU has received outside recognition in various forms. The table below outlines the awards, talks, and publications that have brought attention to the quality of the courses offered and the program.

Presentations

Bookout, Shi, Gunn, Weisenborn. 2018. Facebook and the Online Classroom: Contemplating the value of a semester's posts, likes, reactions, and replies. Presentation for AAG.

Goldsberry, Bookout, Weisenborn, Arbogast. 2015 Digital Storytelling in Online Geography Classes: Sharing MSU Geography's Experiences. Presentation for AAG.

Schnakenberg, Bookout, Goldsberry, Weisenborn. 2013. Reaching into Geography's Toolbox: Using Web-based Tools to Teach the Geographic Perspective. 2013 Michigan/Great Lakes Social Studies Conference, Lansing, Michigan.

Bookout. 2012. So you want to join the Facebooks?: Lessons from Online Geography's attempt to relate to students using social media. Geography Colloquium at Michigan State.

Goldsberry, Bookout, Weisenborn. 2012. Teaching Volunteered Geographic Information in an Online Environment. Presentation for AAG.

Bookout, Goldsberry, Weisenborn, Arbogast. 2012. Opening Student Eyes to the Geographic Perspective. Presentation for AAG.

Goldsberry, Bookout. 2010. Designing and Managing Large Enrollment Online Courses. MSU vuDAT Breakfast Series.

Olson, WinklerPrins, Weisenborn. 2009. Assessment in Selected Courses at Michigan State University. Presentation at NCGE.

Kristy Stanley, Weisenborn, Robert Goodwin, Lusch, Groop. 2008 Creating an Online Geography Course in Remote Sensing at Michigan State University. Poster at AAG Conference.

Weisenborn, Groop. 2007. Insights on Developing Online Geography Courses. Presentation at Central Michigan University.

WinklerPrins, Weisenborn. 2006. Insights on Designing and Managing Large Online Courses. MSU TechTalk.

Weisenborn, Groop, WinklerPrins, Arbogast, Harman. 2006. Assessing Online Geography Courses at Michigan State University. Presentation at AAG Conference.

Arbogast, WinklerPrins, Weisenborn, Groop, Harman. 2006. The Online Geography Program at Michigan State University. MSU TechTalk.

Weisenborn, WinklerPrins, Groop, Arbogast. 2004. Designing a Virtual Geography Program. Poster at AAG Conference.

Publicações

WinklerPrins, Weisenborn, Groop, Arbogast. 2007 Developing Online Geography Courses: Experiences from Michigan State. Journal of Geography.

Prêmios

AT&T Faculty-Staff Awards in Instructional Technology. 2010. Introduction to Geographic Information (Geo 221v). Adrienne Goldsberry, Kirk Goldsberry.

AT&T Faculty-Staff Awards in Instructional Technology. 2005. World Regional Geography (Geo 204v). WinklerPrins, Weisenborn.

Staff, Faculty, Instructors

Pessoal

Beth Weisenborn, began in 2001: Instructor, Course Coordinator, and Director.

Juliegh Bookout, began in 2003: Instructor, Course Developer & Coordinator.


História

In 1964, osteopathic physicians, working in cooperation with the Michigan Association of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons, were successful in obtaining a charter to establish an osteopathic medical college in Michigan. The original Michigan College of Osteopathic Medicine was located in Pontiac and admitted its first students in 1969.

That same year, the state legislature enacted Public Act 162, which specified that &ldquoA school of osteopathic medicine is established and shall be located as determined by the state board of education at an existing campus of a state university with an existing school or college of medicine."

To comply with this legislation, the college charter was transferred to the Board of Trustees of Michigan State University and the college was relocated to Fee Hall on the East Lansing campus in 1971. At that time, it became known as the Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine.

Since 2009, the college has operated under a model of &ldquoOne College, Three Sites." These sites include East Lansing, as well as locations in southeast Michigan: the Detroit Medical Center in Detroit and the Macomb University Center in Clinton Township, which are home to roughly one-third of each enrolled class.

The College of Osteopathic Medicine has a long-established network of community teaching hospitals throughout Michigan. Known as the Statewide Campus System, or SCS, this network was the original model for the osteopathic postdoctoral training institution, or OPTI. SCS has been accredited by the American Osteopathic Association as an OPTI and currently holds institutional accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education, or ACGME. In partnership with the college, SCS residency programs lead the nation in achieving accreditation under ACGME.

Today, more than 300 osteopathic students graduate each year as part of our mandate to produce primary care physicians for the state. The college also receives more research funding from the National Institutes of Health than any other osteopathic college in the nation.


Michigan State University - History

MSU athletes compete and perform in a number of athletic facilities, past and present, from the Armory and Jenison Fieldhouse to College Field and Spartan Stadium.

The Armory, completed in 1886, was originally the only sports facility for indoor team competitions, in addition to gymnastics, boxing, wrestling and other sports, plus other non-sports activities, such as drill hall and ballroom. In 1930 Demonstration Hall was inaugurated, only to be replaced by Jenison Field house, built in 1939, with a seating capacity of 10,000. For five decades Jenison was the arena for basketball and other indoor sports. In the mid 1980s plans were underway to build a completely new sports arena for more than 30 million dollars. The new facility was expected to accommodate more than 15,000 spectators. Named after the university vice president, Jack Breslin, who had been a baseball, football and basketball star for MSU in the 1940s, the arena opened in the fall of 1989 at the cost of 43 million dollars. In 2000 right after the MSU Spartans basketball team won the National Championship, the university announced a $5.9 million addition to the Breslin Center.

On Saturday October 11, 1924 Michigan Agriculture College Stadium or "College Field" was dedicated, in a game where the Aggies faced the University of Michigan Wolverines. The state governor, the presidents of M.A.C. and U. of M. delivered inaugural speeches for the occasion. The stadium replaced the Old College Field and could accommodate 14,000 spectators. The original building has been practically rebuilt in three different occasions. In the first time -in 1935- its name was changed to Macklin Field, with renovations that increased fan capacity to 26,000. Thirteen years later, in 1948, the second rebuilding would take place, and the facility's name was changed to Macklin Stadium, with accommodation for 51,000 people. In 1956 the stadium underwent yet another significant transformation and became Spartan Stadium with capacity for 76,000 spectators.

The most recent expansion and renovations of Spartan Stadium were completed in 2005, including a new press box, luxury suites and new club seats. Besides the classic 1966 "Game of the Century" between Spartans and Fighting Irish, the stadium has witnessed many epic battles between Spartans and Big Ten rivals, and other national opponents. The stadium has consolidated a well earned reputation as one of the loudest football fields in the country. In 2001 Spartan Stadium hosted the "Cold War", a hockey match between Michigan and Michigan State, which ended in another tie, setting an attendance world record for ice hockey games (74,754).

Beisebol

Baseball was the first organized sport in the Michigan Agriculture College athletic history. Organized for and by the students, baseball teams competed in nearby communities in the 1860s. The first match recorded between M.A.C. and the University of Michigan goes back to 1868. In the 1880s students participated in "field days" where different athletic competitions took place against Olivet and Albion colleges. In 1886 the M.A.C. baseball club was officially created and in 1888 the Michigan Inter-Collegiate Athletic Association was created by students from Albion, Hillsdale, Olivet and M.A.C.

Basketball

The first intercollegiate basketball game took place in 1899, only few years after Dr. James A. Naismith invented the game as an indoor winter activity in Springfield, Massachusetts. In the 1930s basketball became a very popular sport among the student population, with the inauguration of Demonstration Hall as the university indoor basketball arena on January 22, 1930. In 1940 Jenison Field House became the new center for Spartan basketball. In 1957 the Spartans conquered the Big Ten title and made it to the NCAA final four for the first time, and lost to North Carolina in the immortalized triple over time game. Led by Earvin "Magic" Johnson, a Lansing native, the Spartans captured the first NCAA national championship in Men's Basketball in 1979 in a historic match against Larry Bird's Indiana State.

Prominent players include a long list led by Julius McCoy, Johnny Green, Lyman Frimodig, Chester Aubuchon, Magic Johnson, and more recently, Mateen Cleaves, Drew Neitzel. The 1990s witnessed a golden era in Spartan basketball under Coach Tom Izzo, who led the team to an NCAA national championship in 2000.

Boxing

Boxing experienced a brief life as a college sport between 1888 and 1892 and was included in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA), which was formed in 1888. After 1892 boxing disappeared as a competitive intercollegiate sport. In 1938 boxing reacquired varsity status inaugurating a new era in which Spartan athletes would excel. Under Coach George Makris Spartan athletes dominated opponents at regional and national competitions, achieving two NCAA national team championships (1951 and 1955) and nine individual NCAA titles. Special mention deserve Spartan fighters Chuck Davey, the only boxer in college history with four NCAA titles and John Horne, an African American athlete who won three consecutive NCAA titles between 1958 and 1960. The boxing program was terminated in 1958 amidst criticism for the sport and its role as intercollegiate athletic activity. The majority of Big Ten universities also terminated their boxing teams.

Coaches

In the 1890s as the college authorities initiated a move to place athletics under their supervision the appointment of coaches ceased to be a student prerogative. In 1899 the department of Physical Culture was established and Rev. Charles O. Bemies was hired to coach sports, mostly football and baseball, and lead spiritual services at the college chapel. The next coach, Chester L. Brewer, was hired as professor of physical culture in 1903. A former coach in Albion College, Brewer directed M.A.C. sports until 1910, when he left for the University of Missouri. John F. Macklin, a former University of Pennsylvania football player, became the new athletic director and football coach, and led the football team to its first victories against the University of Michigan (1913 and 1915) and its first undefeated season (1913).

Clarence "Biggie" Munn was hired in 1947 as football head coach. Munn led the football team to NCAA consecutive national titles and national recognition.

Hugh "Duffy" Daugherty started his coaching career as the assistant coach to "Biggie" Munn. In 1954 became the head football coach of MSU after Munn became the Athletic Director. Daugherty coached for 19 seasons with a winning record of 109-69-5. He retired after the 19th season in 1972, obtaining consecutive national championships in 1965 and 1966.

Futebol americano

The first football team was organized by students in 1896. In 1913 the M.A.C. Aggies completed a perfect season. After WWII the Spartan football program entered and dominated the Big Ten Conference and achieved national prominence under coaches Clarence "Biggie" Munn and Hugh "Duffy" Daugherty. Both Munn and Daugherty conquered four NCAA national titles with their respective squadrons in 1951, 1952, 1965 and 1966. Daugherty's team also participated in the "Game of the Century" in 1966 against Notre Dame University Fighting Irish. Both teams arrived undefeated and the final score was a 10-10 tie.

Championships

Spartans have brought to East Lansing 25 national team championships and Michigan State University is the only school with multiple NCAA titles in Football, Ice Hockey and Basketball. MSU teams will soon pass the 100th mark for Big Ten titles, even though Men started competing in 1951 and Women in 1971. Individually, Spartan athletes have obtained NCAA national titles in more than 100 occasions and more than 500 first places in Big Ten competitions. Some of the team national titles include: Basketball (1979, 2000), Boxing (1951, 1955), Cross Country (1939, 1948, 1949, 1952, 1955, 1956, 1958, 1959), Football (1951, 1952, 1965, 1966), Gymnastics (1958), Hockey (1966, 1986, 2007), Soccer (1967, 1968), Wrestling (1967).

Green Splash

The Green Splash is a women's honorary swimming club of Michigan State University. Officially created in 1927, the Green Splash developed as a result of the activities of the Women's Life Saving Corps, established in the spring of 1922 by the American Red Cross. The name Green Splash reflected a new focus on promoting interest in all water activities among female students. The requirements for a female student to join the group were: to be a sophomore, junior, or senior to maintain a minimum of a "C" grade point average and to pass designated swimming requirements. The club soon ventured into the production of "water pageant shows" carefully staged with elaborately planned costumes and scenery centered on a single theme. Female athletes would showcase their abilities as soloists, in duets or large groups of synchronized swimmers. Men and women from the diving teams would also participate in the water shows.

Futebol

Soccer became a varsity team at MSU in 1956, conquering the first Big Ten title in 1959 led by Coach Gene Kenney. Kenney coached the team from 1956 to 1970 winning the NCAA national championship in consecutive seasons (1967 and 1968). With one of the most impressive winning records for any college sport, Kenney took the Spartans to eight consecutive appearances in NCAA tournaments. In 1970 support for the soccer program was significantly reduced and the Spartan dynasty came to an end. Recently Spartan soccer has experienced a renaissance, winning the Big Ten title in 2004.

Swimming

Swimming had rather humble origins in the M.A.C. Competitions can be originally traced back to the building of pool facilities in 1902, called the "Bath House." The actual pool was small by today's standards, with only seventeen by thirty-five feet, but contained showers, locker rooms, among other amenities.

Swimming intercollegiate competitions started in 1922 for the M.A.C. Aggies. The next year they obtained their first team victory against the Grand Rapids Y.M.C.A.

In 1941 Jenison Pool hosted the NCAA championship. Spartan swimmers conquered their first NAAU championship in 1945 and their first Big Ten title in 1957 guided by legendary Coach Charles McCaffree Jr. (1942-1969). In 1957 IM West Pool was built to replace the old Jenison pool, and became one of the best Olympic pools in the country. This world class natatorium was equipped with modern technology and accommodated over 2,000 people, with side stands that created a stadium-like atmosphere. In 1959 Spartans won the AAU National summer championship. The natatorium hosted the Pan American Games in 1959 and would eventually be renamed in honor of Coach McCaffree. For women swimming did not become a varsity sport until 1970. The first women's swimming team dominated the Big Ten conference with championships in 1973, 1974 and 1975. Since IM West was used for men's recreational use only, female swimmers had to practice at the IM Circle until 1978.

Tênis

Tennis was a popular feature in the original intercollegiate meetings that brought together Olivet, Albion and M.A.C. in the 1880s classic "field days". It was also a sport that included both men and women in the competitions. Clay and lawn courts existed on temporary basis in different campus locations until the 1930s, when fifteen courts were built. These courts were destroyed to accommodate the Men's Intramural Building, constructed in 1957. Forty new tennis courts were created south of Spartan Stadium. A chemistry professor named Charles D.Ball became the first tennis coach in 1921 and guided the players until 1946. Tennis enjoys the distinction of being the first sport in which Spartans won a Big Ten championship in 1951.

Track & Field

Track events constituted the backbone of athletic events at the origins of both intramural and intercollegiate competitions in the 1880s. M.A.C. athletes completely dominated in the track events organized by the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association winning 15 titles in 20 seasons (1888-1907). Leander Burnett, a Native American athlete, won three all-around championships and 37 events in the first era of M.A.C. track & field events. With the inauguration of the Men's Gymnasium in 1920 the college could host the M.A.C. Track Carnival in 1921, which later became the Michigan State Relays. The track program reached national prominence under the guidance of Ralph H. Young (1923-1940), coach and later athletic director. Young was pivotal in the creation of the Central Collegiate Conference, with Notre Dame and Marquette, in 1926. In the 1940s Jenison Field House housed the indoor track events. Spartan athletes obtained the Big Ten titles for indoor in 1966 and outdoor in 1965 and 1966.

Hockey

The first record of an ice hockey game is from January 11, 1922, when a M.A.C. team traveled to Ann Arbor to play the University of Michigan. The following week the Aggies hosted Notre Dame University on the Red Cedar's frozen waters. In 1924 a rink was established in the Old College Field, abandoned by the football squad for the new stadium.

In 1926 the Spartans were admitted in the Western League but in 1931 the program was cancelled indefinitely. The ice hockey program took a long hiatus from 1931 until 1948 when indoor facilities where available in Demonstration Hall. There are many reasons that this occurred, including the lack of facilities, institutional indifference towards the sport and the dependence on the unreliable Michigan weather. The hockey team would return in the late 1940s and would continue until present day, conquering three NCAA National Championships in the process in 1966, 1986 and 2007. Michigan State coaches are in the lead for all time wins in the NCAA as well, with former coach Ron Mason in first and current coach Rick Comley in second. The program has come from the early days skating on the Red Cedar River to a national powerhouse in the sport of ice hockey.

Women Before 1945

Despite being admitted since 1870 to M.A.C. women athletes did not receive the same type of support as their male counterparts in sports activities. In 1888 women formed their first regular sports teams but only until 1896 they were allowed to compete in field day meetings. Women's basketball formally started in 1898. In 1919 the Department of Physical Education for Women was created, led by Helen D. Grimes. Female students were required to participate in physical activities including calisthenics and non-contact sports. In 1922 the Women Life Saving Corps was formed, to later become the Green Splash in 1927, and in 1924 the creation of the Women's Athletic Association opened new venues for athletic competitions. By 1926 the association had more than 100 members and featured 18 different sports in 1928 a major in Physical Education for Women was approved. Soccer, skating, hiking, volleyball, tennis, and rifle were among the favorite sports. Intercollegiate competition for female athletes was prohibited.

Title IX Era

In 1962 Carol Herding became head of the Women's Physical Education department, and launched a campaign to increase attendance in the women's gymnasium. By the end of the decade the number of regular visitors had skyrocketed. In 1972 Title IX legislation was approved prohibiting the exclusion of individuals from full participation in educational programs on the basis of sex or gender. Despite this new legislation, a disparaging unequal funding for female and male athletes was still the rule. In the 1977-78 season funds allocated for men amounted to $776,000 while women only received less than $85,000.

In 1978 a formal complaint was filed on behalf of MSU women's basketball team before the Office of Civil Rights at the U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare. This lawsuit precipitated a significant transformation in the support for female athletes at Michigan State University.


Assista o vídeo: You Are a Spartan. Michigan State University Fall Welcome (Pode 2022).